Sometimes I need to transfer data from one PC to another in my office. But it is not possible for me to know the password each and every PC or laptop. Again sometimes I need to connect to the internet via PC but I do not carry my laptop always. So I had been thinking for alternatives to solve these problems and ended up with a solution. That is portable OS (operating system).
There hell lot of portable OS. Now I started struggling to choose the best one for me. I googled, asked few friends about it and found few suitable for me.
My basic requirements were:
- Light weight
- Able to access local hard drive or rest of the portion of the pen drive
- Smart builtin drivers for LAN card, WiFi etc.
- Good browser like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome
- Office tools (for word, excel and power point)
- Pdf reader
I had been looking for open source solution as I am in love with it. Previously I worked with Linux and Unix. I have used RedHat for server, Ubuntu both for server and laptop, backtrack for various Linux based tricks and some others. Those are good as complete OS. According to my requirement, I found following OS suitable for me:
- Slax: Slax is my favorite one. It is very small but powerful enough to surprise you. Alldaily necessary softwares are included. It has a outstanding design with modular approach that allows me to add any software very easily. What I personally disliked about Slax is not having builtin flash in Mozilla Firefox where as I need it mostly. It is as small as ~250MB. Installation is also very easy. What I liked about slax is the whole OS remain inside a directory/folder named slax. So while using it on a pen drive having windows (NTFS or exFat or Fat32) file system, I can still use the root of the pen drive for any other purpose without any confusion.
- Porteus: I personally started using Proteus. It can boot within 15 seconds only! It is also a light weight OS. It can be kept under 300MB. I downloaded few additional features like powerful browser like Chrome including flash, office tools, skype etc. All other features are almost same as Slax. It creates two directories/folders and few .txt files in the root. But still the pen drive is usable if u just create another folder to keep your things organised.
- Puppy Linux: Puppy Linux is one of the most popular portable OS. I personally tried the Quirky version 7.0.3 but unluckily I did not like it. This light weight OS creates lot of directories and files in the root of the pen drive. I found it slower than other two. Don’t just listen to me. I found it top portable OS including various necessary built in tools which makes it worth of trying it.
Note: Well, that is it. Now keep any of these three OS in your Pen Drive and break through your friend’s PC or Laptop who does not want to share his/her latest HD movie. Even start watching it in that laptop using your pen drive. BTW, do everything at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that you are going to do.http://lifeshowcase.com/index.php/2015/07/31/portable-os/https://i2.wp.com/lifeshowcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/portable-OS.png?fit=300%2C239https://i2.wp.com/lifeshowcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/portable-OS.png?resize=150%2C150Hackinghackking,Laptop,Linux,OS,PC,Portable,proteus,puppy linux,slaxSometimes I need to transfer data from one PC to another in my office. But it is not possible for me to know the password each and every PC or laptop. Again sometimes I need to connect to the internet via PC but I do not carry my laptop...Mithik email@example.comAdministratorLifeShowcase